Better Off Read GR is a book club in Grand Rapids, Michigan aimed at connecting people over their mutual love for books and reading. This club is intended for people in their 20s & 30s, but all are welcome. Our events are posted on the Grand Rapids 20s, 30s & 40s Meetup as well as our website.
Better Off Read GR hosts at least one event per month. During even months (Feb, Apr, June, Aug, Oct, Dec) we read 1 book and meet to discuss the book. Our discussions last 1-1.5 hours usually, but you’re allowed to show up late or leave early, just gives us a heads up if possible.
Schuler’s offers a generous 20% discount on our book club picks each month. The book is available at the Book Club table to the left of the entrance.
On the odd months, we choose a literary activity including but not limited to:
- Book swaps and borrowing events
- Group viewings of TV/movie adaptations of novels like “The Handmaid’s Tale”
- Recreating food or activities from a novel
- Author readings and talks
- Book lovers’ trivia
- At Better Off Read GR, the first rule is to treat everyone’s contributions with respect. There’s no wrong or right when it comes to opinions.
- Step up; step back. Feel comfortable speaking up and feel comfortable just listening. Try not to interrupt or talk over your new friends. Say something when it feels right.
- Be honest. Let us know if a person or discussion ever makes you feel unsafe or unwelcome. You can use the survey at the end of each event anonymously, shoot us an email, or speak to us in person.