Join Better Off Read GR to discuss a humor memoir tinged with just enough tragedy and pathos to make it worthwhile.
A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. And terrible ideas are what Jenny does best.
According to Jenny: “Some people might think that being ‘furiously happy’ is just an excuse to be stupid and irresponsible and invite a herd of kangaroos over to your house without telling your husband first because you suspect he would say no since he’s never particularly liked kangaroos. And that would be ridiculous because no one would invite a herd of kangaroos into their house. Two is the limit. I speak from personal experience. My husband says that none is the new limit. I say he should have been clearer about that before I rented all those kangaroos.”
“I’ve often thought that people with severe depression have developed such a well for experiencing extreme emotion that they might be able to experience extreme joy in a way that ‘normal people’ also might never understand. And that’s what Furiously Happy is all about.”
At A Glance
- 329 pages
- 3.93 Goodreads rating
- Nonfiction > Memoir > Humor
- Publication Date: September 22, 2015
- August 19th, 2018
- 1:00 PM EDT
- Schuler Books and Music, 2660 28th St SE, Grand Rapids MI
- We will meet in the studio directly at the back of Schuler’s, no purchase necessary
- For discussion questions and additional information, view the Meetup event here
- Better Off Read GR members receive a 20% discount on our picks when purchased from the Book Club table at Schuler’s Books.
- This is a Books by the Stack book available at the GRPL Main Library for an extended checkout!